I am constantly amazed that Anna and Miss Ellie can come from the same gene pool but have huge differences (as well as some similarities)
The similarities include the fact that both of my baby daughters seem to be full of lots of smiles. As a baby, it was constantly remarked how smiley and content Anna was and, in fact, everyone says the same about Miss Ellie. On a recent holiday to Cornwall, I wasn't happy as Miss Ellie seemed a little unsettled. I couldn't put my finger on it but she just seemed to be too wriggly! I said that I would take her for a walk as I wanted to settle her. Everyone just looked at me in amazement saying "Not content??? Most mum's would love to have a baby 'not content' if that is what it involved". Up to 6 months old, I could also say that Anna and Miss Ellie were very similar looking although I think Miss Ellie is starting to look more 'Gibson' while Anna is a real mix of the two.
Before highlighting the differences, I need to state that both my daughters are beautiful in every way but different!
Anna, even as a baby, was incredibly focussed. Nothing or nobody would stop her drinking her milk until it was all gone. Miss Ellie only needs to see a flicker of light in the corner of her eye and milk is forgotten!
Anna, from 6 months old, would gaze intently at her bedtime story, trying to turn the pages and smiling at my silly voices. Miss Ellie, apart from books involving Farm animals, will look at anything but the book including, for example, a bit of fluff on the carpet tonight.
Anna just fell into a routine as though it from textbook. I could put her to sleep for her daytime nap and she would instantly fall asleep, waking 2 hours later with a smile on her face and ready for action. Miss Ellie fights sleep until she looks like her eyes are about to fall out but she still won't give in! Even if I struggle for hours to get her to sleep, she will only catnap for 10 minutes maximum before waking up and then getting grumpy half an hour later. The only solution is taking Miss Ellie out in the car but, with petrol prices, I'm not sure I can do that every day! It would cost me a small forune, even if it does save my sanity! Anna was such an easy baby in comparison!
Anna was always hugely independent and still is, wanting to discover everything for herself and not letting people help her if she thought she could do it herself. However, when Anna discovered the DVD player would open by pressing certain buttons, I gave a stern but friendly 'No' and Anna would not touch it again. Miss Ellie discovered the DVD player this week but instead of getting the message that it probably isn't a good idea (despite me moving her 10 feet away for the 100th time), I turn around to discover that she has opened the DVD drawer and is attempting to climb up onto it to get to the TV! If I give her a look to try and show my disapproval, Anna would just instinctively know. Miss Ellie just looks at me and laughs before attempting it again! Miss Ellie is definitely a monkey!!! However, you can't help but melt as soon as you saw that wicked but trely gorgeous smile, the glint in her eye and that look to say 'I know I'm a monkey but you love me'.
I have my vision for the future already...
Anna will be the incredibly bright, so beautiful, geeky daughter of mine who will watch Newsnight, eat granola for Breakfast and read the Times
Miss Ellie will be the incredibly streetwise, so gorgeous, cool daughter who is easily lead and relies on her mother to get her out of trouble. She will probably watch Eastenders, eat Frosties for breakfast and read Heat magazine.
Of course, there is every chance that I am completely wrong and I won't care as long as they are happy. Despite their differences, I always will adore them both equally, even if they make me turn grey before 40!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment